Monday, October 22, 2012

Crawling Spider Cakes

I love making things with my kids so to celebrate October, I thought I would make some spider cakes that are completely edible.  I know the majority of spiders have 8 eyes, but to my defense there are certain spiders that only have 2 (at least that is what yahoo said when I looked it up and yes I looked it up).  Also, I think 2 eyes look much cuter than 8, so I stuck with only 2.

 

I bought a few things that I thought I'd try to experiment on.  I've used Moon Pies and Ding Dongs making owls before so I figured it would work here as well.


Pocky sticks were great for spider legs.  I often find them in the Asian grocery store and I dreaded making the drive out there to buy some, but to my delight, I found them at the local Wally Mart (in the Asian aisle).   My trip to buy some milk was a double success.


To make the legs, cut the poky sticks at an angle and dip into melted chocolate.  I just melted some chocolate chips.  I connected the sticks at an angle and let it dry on a piece of parchment paper.


I stuck it into the cake and added edible candy eyes.  It was that simple.


It looks more cute than creepy.  


They do look like little crabs, don't they?  That gives a great idea for summer.


My kids did not have trouble dissecting these spiders as they scarfed them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails